Thursday, September 11, 2008

From Mezz0:
Ugly Americans


In March of 1998, I was riding a bus in Germany from Munich to Dachau. Everyone on board was either keeping themselves occupied, or quietly talking to the person next to them until the bus made a stop, and four people stomped on board. They were loud and obnoxious, and although we were on opposite ends of the bus, it was immediately apparent that they were from the east coast of the United States. I was irritated by their noise and lack of consideration, and embarrassed to be associated with them. When they finally got off of the bus, a backpacker close by turned to me and whispered "no wonder everyone hates us!"

I sit next to a guy from Iran named Amir. He's insane – sort of like a Persian Kramer. He recently told me a story about moving from Iran to Canada. The first time he took the subway in Toronto, he was confused because nobody was talking. He asked the person next to him, "Why is everyone so quiet?" The person responded, "People here just try to be polite and not disturb others around them." A few stops later, three people stomped on board and began talking in loud voices. Andy thought to himself, "I wonder where these people are from? Wherever it is – I want to move there!" He approached what turned out to be Americans from the east coast who chatted with him for a while. Before parting, they gave him their phone numbers in case he ever made it to New York and needed some help. A year later, Andy moved to the United States.

Now I wear headphones.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home