Thursday, August 28, 2008

From Mezz0:
Back to (Old) School



I just enrolled in "Introduction to Screenwriting I" with professor Kim Krizan, Academy Award nominated screenwriter, as well as a film and stage actor.

This expanded version of Introduction to Screenwriting I guides students to develop their feature film script idea to create a detailed step outline or beat sheet, and then write the first act (30-40 pages). The basics of screenwriting are covered, including plot and subplot, beat outlines, story structure, and character arcs. Students also analyze successful scripts and study the structure of successful films. The class runs through December 16.

I'm nervous. My last college course was more than eight years ago at a small school in Minnesota, not a world-renowned institution of higher learning like UCLA. Plus, I'm only going to be on campus once a week, which will make it really challenging to break into the social scene. I'll barely have time to toss the bee on the quad let a lone rush for one of the cooler frats. I’m going to have to fall back on the wisdom of my years (and ability to purchase alcohol) to win over the Y generation with their iPod music players, slightly crooked baseball caps, and hairless bodies.

I’ll be living off campus AND holding down a full time job (lame), but I feel a strong urge to purchase a bean bag chair, lava lamp, 20-pack of ramen noodles, small white board, 3 cubic foot fridge, pennant, beer bong, UCLA sweatshirt, and a big-ass Led Zeppelin poster of “Stairway to Heaven.” I’ve already lofted our queen-sized bed, and if we keep things quiet, my res-hall director (I mean, “landlord”) will be none the wiser when we use the liberated space to host Tuesday tippy-cup tourneys.

My apprehension comes mainly because my 40-year-old boss will be taking the class with me. I really like the guy. In fact, I wouldn’t be going back to school if it weren’t for him, but he’s got, like, a ten year old son, wife, mortgage, and all sorts of other “grown up” problems that have the potential of really killing my buzz. If I want to TP the evil dean’s house with a bunch of my pals, is he going to wait to carpool me back to work? Is he going to be willing to cut out early for happy hour at Q’s Billiards on Wilshire? Will he back me if some of those USC (University of Spoiled Children – LOL) punks try to out-cheer us at homecoming, and someone needs to show them what the Bruin Bears are made of? Maybe, but something tells me he might not have school spirit the way I have school spirit, and his Indian culture might inform his college experience slightly different than me, and this could cause friction on our long PAC-10 road trips.

Otherwise, I’m stoked.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home