Friday, April 20, 2007

From Mezz0:
Choked Unconscious



Dear Old BJJ Instructor,

I haven't grappled with really sucky beginners in a long time. Most of the white belts I've been encountering have been white belts for a long time, are young and athletic, are distracting in their hotness, or a combination of the three. But not yesterday. The white belts I grappled with yesterday, after experiencing nominal success with exploding from any dominated position, prided themselves on flailing around, like a paraplegic cruelly dumped out of his wheelchair into a swimming pool, upon getting mounted or put in side control.

So I mounted this fellow, and he bucked and snorted and used a lot of energy, none of it directed at my knees, hips, or ankles. I got one hand deep inside his collar for a choke while posting a foot out, waited until he expended a tremendous amount of effort trying to fight my very solid post, and then put my thumb in his other collar. I sunk the choke and started to put my head to the mat for better leverage and stability. I was confused because he wasn't defending - confused not because he wasn't intelligently defending, but because he wasn't defending at all. I looked over at his hand which sort of flopped against my torso. It wasn't a tap, really, but I had nothing more to prove.

I asked him if he was tapping and it was then that I realized he was unconscious. I got off of him and he came to almost immediately.

"I think I just went to sleep," he said.

"Yeah, I think so," I responded, "you sure don't tap easy! Nice job!"

He nodded with a mixture of pride and disorientation. There was only one thing left to do, so I made a "V sign" on both hands and did a victory lap around the mat*. Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful sport!

-Mezz0

*FYI - The victory lap took place in my hand, rather than in the actual, physical world.

Also, I create this BJJ Wiki to track techniques

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home