Thursday, December 30, 2010

From The Youngest:
Here's How They Do Shit in Mexico

Note: my wisdom tooth was always in a runner's stance.











If my trusty Tijuana dentist knows what he's talking about, this should fix my problem.

10 weeks ago, when I had dental insurance, my American dentist gave me the option to fill this tooth instead of pulling it out. He should have pulled it.

I hopped in U's Mustang and we headed down to his city of birth, Tijuana, to receive some top-notch dental care. Unfortunately, the dentist that we were looking for was closed for the holidays. An office nearby was willing to look at me, though. I waited around for 5 minutes before being led back for x-rays and having my problem identified.

"Unfortunately, the only way we can help this is to pull it out. Have you eaten yet today? Why don't you go get a taco while we send for The Doctor. You will not be able to eat anything good for a few days after he's done...there's a great taco shop just a few doors down."

We went over to Tacos El Rey and had some delicious tacos before I returned and waited for the Doctor.

Dr. Sanchez (in broken English): Hello, you ready?

::The Youngest takes a deep breath::

Dr. Sanchez: Are you nervous?

The Youngest: Yes


Dr. Sanchez: Come on, macho. Mexican machos don't even need anesthesia!


The Youngest: Well I'm glad I'm an American.


What followed was horrific. The doctor positioned himself around my head so as to exert maximum leverage using his elbow and an assortment of bulky tools that vaguely resembled a marlin spike. At one point, he demanded a back-up instrument from the assistant and began cranking on my tooth in the opposite direction. He was grabbing at my tooth so hard, it felt like my jaw was going to snap on the opposite side. It took about 4-5 goes of prying on each side, following each time with some hardcore wiggling. He grabbed my chin with his opposite hand to keep my jaw in place as he cranked some more. I was worried he wasn't making any progress until I felt the sweet sensation of losing contact with a numbed nerve (combined with the sound of my gums ripping and tearing the surrounding area.

When he pulled back, sweat was streaming down my forehead. The assistant made sure I wasn't about to pass out before giving me the post-op lowdown.


















All that for $120. Without dental insurance, in the US, it would have cost at least $150 just to have a dentist look at my mouth...without x-rays.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mezz0 said...

Often times I wish the United States was more like Mexico.

4:47 PM  
Blogger The Youngest said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:57 PM  
Blogger The Youngest said...

Not only do they have affordable dental care and The Best Tacos in The World, but I hear the brothels have started upping their standards.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home