Wednesday, September 23, 2009

From Mezz0:
Liveblogging White Collar Spiral
9/23 6:00pm

Yesterday, someone in the know told me "Tomorrow is going to be a crazy day for all of us." He wants to tell me something but can't. I can feel it. Maybe a buy out? Shit. He told me someone else is going to get laid off, so I imagine it has to be something other than massive layoffs, or reorg, but I don't know. All of a sudden, I've been asked to present my implementation plan to the COO, who (ironically enough) does not concern himself with these sorts of operational affairs for the most part.

9/24 9:00am

Everyone was asked to wear business formal because an investor, or VIP, is in town. This reminds me that I was asked to give a demo to "a few VIPs" to which I refused. I told the VP of Tech I was no longer responsible for demos and to LMS. Operations Vp is on PTO b/c of her mother-in-law's hip surgery. I don't believe this story for a second.

9/24 10:00am

Youngest just recommended I "Be safe, start hoarding supplies and computer equipment now"

9/24 11:00am

Daydreaming about what to do with unemployment. Hiking in the Sierras definately. Moto trip to baja to Cabo is a possibility. Surf everyday.

9/24 11:11am

WTF? Meeting request: "Come join us in the board room tomorrow to celebrate the signing of our first ....REDACTED... contract! Everyone is welcome.

9/24 12:00pm. On a conference call and wondering how many office pens are too many office pens to be sprinting down the hall and stuffing into my briefcase?

9/24 1:09pm. Just heard rumor. We recieved X million dollars in funding very recently. We owe Y million dollars. Y > X

9/24 2:40pm. First meeting with the COO. He asked very direct questions and made me blush. "Now where did you get that impression," he asked. He wanted to know if I felt empowered given the current management structure, and if I wanted to separate myself from being under the VP of Ops. Red pill, blue pill. I wanted to tell him I was a rouge at heart, a wild, unbroken horse, and a bad motherfucker with a maverick streak, but instead I just sweated.

9/24 7:25pm. Fuck this job. A layoff would be a blessing. No big news, then as I was leaving the same dude's office that dropped the unmaterialized rumor yesterday, he said, "oh well - we'll all be in a meeting at 3:00pm." It's dark out, and I'm liable to get killed riding the Dirty Whore back home.

4 Comments:

Blogger Squadron Leader said...

Come now, good sir. An ending, an ending, this story has need of a climax...

6:13 PM  
Anonymous capt. said...

yet another day in corporate whoredom.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous capt. said...

mezzo, this reminds me of working with you:
http://www.holytaco.com/25-passive-aggressive-office-kitchen-notes

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mezz0 said...

That is funny! If I remember, those were the days in which I routinely stole people's food from fridge, and dumped the trash in someone else's garbage can to throw the owner off the trail...Ahhh, those were the good old days.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home